Friday, May 26, 2017

Week 17 Update

Not too much has happened, some good news which I already told y'all about.  We have finally kind of settled in, so life is just cruising on.

1. Land Home - Well, we finally got HOA Approval this week.  We also started the process of the shed.  The contractors finishing cutting down all the trees and are burning the remnants.  That will take a while - it has been mostly raining this week and they are having trouble with the fires.  They have to get very hot and they are not getting there.  I did not go up there yesterday, but I will today, so I will see their progress.

Yesterday, I sat down with the builder and made decisions on window placements and sizes.  I did add 2 smaller windows  - 1 to my daughter's bathroom and 1 to our water closet.  Our ceilings are 10' high, so the windows are thin and high - 1 ft tall by 2-3 wide at the 8 ft mark.  I am a little excited because there will be seven 8ft tall windows with no obstruction in the living room area. 

I also finalized the color of the windows and the roof shingles.  We got word from the county that the culvert needs to be wider, so we will be adding a few feet to it sometime soon.  It is a new standard size - lucky us!

I did ask when the concrete pad would be done.  Here is the excitement - as long as weather holds, the select fill pad should be done by the end of next week.  (which also means we can start the shed!)  Then, our builder said he would need a couple of weeks to prep for the concrete pad, but he saw no reason for the concrete pad not be poured by the June 16th, 19th at the latest!  It will start really moving then!

Oh, I got my wide angle lens yesterday!  I cannot wait to take a picture - I will be able to get the whole open area now! 

2. RV Living - We are doing ok.  I still say if Darrell and I were retired and traveling, this would be more doable, even fun.  Living here with teenagers, not so great.  They are lovely and such wonderful kids.  There are no major complaints, only when we are all lamenting together.  We all agree, it is not bad until you are trying to cook or shower.  That's when it is a pain. 

However, we are making it work.  I have no intention of changing our situation and it is actually going better than I thought. 

Darrell and I are getting closer, so that is one good thing.  The kids are getting closer as well.  They went through a period of verbal fighting, but we had to talk with them and they are actually talking to each so much nicer.  "Koen, I know it is hard, but could you please chew with your mouth closed - it is driving me insane."  LOL - our daughter is a trooper living with 3 brothers.  The fact they are saying please to each other is a very good thing!

3. Homeschooling - Going great!  Another week in the books.  We are progressing along nicely and we went to the rec room every day this week.  They love it!  It gets us out of the RV and they have separate tables. 

We started reading the Constitution.  It is a little dry, but I am bringing in stories as we go, so it is taking a long time to get through - that is ok.  I would rather they remember it then press through and they not remember anything.

We did make a final decision to NOT start Latin or Science until we move in the house.  Latin is important as this will count as their foreign language for graduation, so it needs to be taken seriously.  Science has a ton of experiments that are just not conducive in this RV.  Plus, as we get further along in the building, I will need to be at the land more.

I am good with this.  I felt guilty for a few days, but it is not like they are Not going to get it at all.  We will be moving in the house this year.  It is just one semester.  (see how I am talking myself into this?)


So, there you have it - a little slow, but good.  I hope over the next month, there will be a LOT more pictures to show you - at this point, they are just moving piles around and it is not exciting.

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your updates. The process to build a house seems so interesting and complicated. I hope to build my dream house one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting and complicated, but easier than I thought at the same time. Just my nature makes it more dramatic than I suppose it should be. This is as close to our dream house and we could afford and that will be enough. You will get there if you really want it. It is not as expensive as everyone thinks.

      Delete

Namaste